Sunday, October 12, 2008

the unofficial sound of music tour

10.8
On Wednesday, my German class was canceled, so I was done for the day at 12:30. Once again, the sun was shining, so I decided to take the cable car up to the top of the Untersberg with 3 other girls from my group. Simply getting out to the Untersberg was an adventure on its own as we had to take one of the bus lines that goes out into the country side. This part proved to be quite easy, and we got to our destination in about half an hour. We had to wait about 20 minutes for the cable car, and then we were on our way. The ride up alone, was amazing, so I couldn't wait for the views from the top!

SIMPLY BREATH-TAKING! We could see for miles, and the sky was about as clear as you could with for! We even found our apartments -- I guess there is an advantage to living in a bright green building! After a few hours of wandering around the top of the Untersberg, we caught the cable-car back down, and headed back home.








10.9

Today's adventure: Leopoldskron. This is the location used as the back of the von Trapp house/lake in "The Sound of Music." Of course, I wasn't allowed in, but with another gorgeous day, a walk along the lake shore was perfect! On the way back, I took a stroll through the Kommunalfriedhof (municipal cemetery). I felt kind of weird taking pictures in a cemetery, but it was gorgeous! I have never seen such a well-kept cemetery. The gravestones were very detailed, and there were flowers everywhere!


you can see the Festung from pretty much everywhere!

Leopoldskron





10.11

My goal today was to complete the 'unofficial' "Sound of Music" tour. As you may know, Salzburg is primarily know for "the Sound of Music" and as such it is a largely tourist town. There are a few different companies offering the "Original Sound of Music Tour" at E37 for a 3 hour tour. Considering the nearby location, and the fact that most of these sights are FREE, there is no way I was going to fork over what would be equivalent to about $60.

So, Katie (who has gone on the Sound of Music tour twice) and I caught a bus out to Mondsee, a suburb of Salzburg, to find the church in which Maria and Captain von Trapp get married. After we saw the interior of the church, we wandered down to the lake and enjoyed another great afternoon.







Thanks to the great weather this week, I have completed my goal of visiting all of the 'Sound of Music' sights without breaking the bank.
To recap:
  • Gazebo @ Schloss Hellbrunn
  • Front of the house @ Schloss Frohnbrunn
  • Back of the house @ Leopoldskron
  • wedding church @ Mondsee
  • Mirabel Gardens
  • Nonnberg Abbey
  • Untersberg (this is supposedly the mountain Maria was singing on during the opening credits...I don't believe it.)

4 comments:

Two B's said...

Oh my goodness, what wonderful photographs! Thanks so much for sharing, I was just skipping around when I came across your blog! Both of my parents were born in Germany, and I was born here in the US. We have not been back in such a long time...this makes me want to back.

Brad said...

Unbelievable pictures.

We Rate Stuff

Erick Trianto said...

you have very nice picture in your blog...
i see that you love travelling.
maybe you should try to come to lombok - indonesia...
i've been there and it's very beautiful...i write about my travel to lombok in my blog.

Teresa said...

Great photos Rachel! The pictures from the top of the Untersberg are AMAZING. :)