Sunday, September 14, 2008

rainy days, reality, reflection...

As I have now been in my new home of Salzburg for nearly two weeks, it seems like the appropriate time to reflect upon the impression this beautiful city has made on me.

I honestly don't think the fact that I am living in Europe and the fact that I can see the alps out my bedroom window has hit me yet!

Our first week of classes has come to an end, and coming from the perspective of a bio major, I'm thinking this semester is going to be challenging, yet easy at the same time. Challenging in the sense that three of my four classes are largely based on group discussion and participation (much unlike biology lectures back at St. John's). On the other hand, however, I have more time than I know what to do with, at most I have 3 hours of class each day, and not a single lab! I have been done with my homework by 8 or 9 every night...this is a foreign concept to me! Furthermore, I don't have a job while I'm over here, so that also frees up a few extra hours every day. I am definitely thankful for this, as it allows me time to truly explore my new surroundings and become more of a temporary citizen rather than an annoying tourist.

Surprisingly, I found the transition of living in Salzburg rather smooth (which is probably why the reality of living in Europe hasn't quite sunk in yet). It's weird to think of life back at CSB, and realize that I actually still go to school there, etc. I have done a little more exploration of Salzburg in smaller groups which has really help me find that connection to the city I have been looking for. When your traveling around as a group of 22 (or 27 if you include our director and his family), you automatically stick out as being tourists, even if that is not really the case.

Tomorrow is the beginning of our second week of classes. It sounds like we'll be having a bit of a field trip in my art history class, something I'm looking forward to as it will provide another opportunity to really take in Salzburg for what it's worth! Also, after talking with my program director, it sounds as though there will be a change with my German class, either switching up a level, or having the professor increase her level of difficulty. Things are finally getting situated, which is a great feeling!

No comments: